Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Lure of American Idol


I love Wednesdays and Thursdays. After a very long day at the office, I can always look forward to the American Idol to perk me up. I used to hate it so much that every time I chance upon the show, I always make it a point to transfer it to another channel. But not now. I’d be fighting with all my might with anyone who tries to transfer the channel when I’m watching American Idol.

Some people find it hilarious, others senseless but most of them would agree that it’s a show that you can’t stop to watch.

What is it’s appeal? Is it the fantastic voices of the contestants? The beautiful faces? The crazy antics of the desperate contestants? Maybe the hilarious outfits? Or maybe it’s all of that mixed together.

I don’t know. It appeals to some part of me. It makes me laugh at times and it does sometimes make me a cry.

In tonight’s episode, a woman auditioned for American Idol and confused the judges. She has a great voice, no doubt about it. But when she sings, she makes all of these facial expressions that distract the listener from the power of her voice. And so Randy and Paula voted no. Simon though voted yes. The poor woman’s heart was broken. But through Simon’s urging, she was brought back for another chance. The same facial expressions were back as she renders another beautiful song. But this time, the judges all said yes. They figured she still have a lot of chance to work on the facial expressions before she goes to Hollywood. And it was touching or maybe I was just too sentimental.

Some of the judges’ comments cracks me up. But the contestants are really classics. I don’t know where else you can find people who thinks they’ve got the voice of angels only to hear them provide an ugly rendition of a song like they have a year-long problem with their throat. Kids sing better than them. At least the children are adorable.

What’s even more hilarious is the fact that these people have the nerve to be angry about being told that they sing very badly. Where’s the value of honesty? I guess nobody wants to face up to the fact that they have a horrible voice.

Anyway, right now, we just get glimpses of what we can expect for the 6th season of American Idol. Here’s looking forward to more angelic voices (or not), beautiful faces, crazy antics, outrageous costumes and brutally honest comments.

You’re going to Hollywood baby!

No comments:

Princesses Can Be Bullies Too

People think of bullies as someone who are bigger, older. Someone who can physically hurt another and uses that power to bully someone else...