Sunday, September 10, 2017

Princesses Can Be Bullies Too

People think of bullies as someone who are bigger, older. Someone who can physically hurt another and uses that power to bully someone else.

But in a recent school trip with my daughter Keiara, I realise some bullies can be small kids, who are princesses and the light in their Mommy's eyes.

Keiara has always been a sweet girl. She likes making friends and talking to other kids and asking them to be her friends. I started noticing something wrong even on the first day of our trip when Keiara comes to me and telling me she's not being allowed to play with the other kids.  She was being bullied by a kid much smaller than her and much younger. And no one noticed it except us because no one thinks this little girl, who is a Princess in her mom's eye can be a bully.

When Keiara plays with the other kids and 'S' is not around, the other kids love playing with her. They get along fine and things are well. When 'S' comes around, Keiara is suddenly excluded because 'S' doesn't like Keiara. She would be told that she cannot join the game or cannot go inside the circle. And when I asked my daughter about it, she said it's because 'S' has the preconceived idea that because Keaira is bigger, she will hurt them.

Keiara has never been one to use her size to bully anyone. In fact, she refrain from fighting anyone.
'S' would ask her to go away from a seat and Keiara would give up her seat that easily. When asked, it was because 'S' is fierce and she does not want to fight.

'S' also was rude to adults. One time she said to Keiara that she has a stupid friend when she was playing with her brother Robin and me. Imagine a small six year old telling you that. What a Princess.

What is sad is that I told the school Principal and her mom after the events. They are close and I am the new mom in the block. I didn't think it would make a difference during the trip although they said I should have done it then. But regardless. I didn't see anything out of it. I feel sad about it. But all I can do is tell them and leave it to them to do anything about it. If they choose not to do anything about this, then they are also supporting 'S' in her bullying.

I prayed for 'S' for a few days. But after not hearing from her mom about the bad behaviour of her kid, i realised that this kid may not change if her Mom does not see the bad attitude of her kid. Who am I to tell her how to raise her kid? Sadly, 'S', without the right guidance, will continue her reign of terror and may end up being a bigger bully when she grows up.

One thing I know is that I will try to help Keiara to fight off the bullies but avoid being a bully herself. I hope and pray that Keiara find someone who can step up for her and stop any bullying in her new school.

No comments:

Princesses Can Be Bullies Too

People think of bullies as someone who are bigger, older. Someone who can physically hurt another and uses that power to bully someone else...