Sunday, September 12, 2010

Waiting



The prompt for this week: Wait

During my wedding, my twin sister mentioned in her speech the long wait I went through before finding the right person to share my life with.

I remember telling my sister years before that although I am already past my prime years, I will not settle just so I can see myself married. I've seen relationships fail due to lack of love and respect and understanding between partners. I won't put myself to the same situation if I can help it. I'd rather stay single than be part of an unhappy marriage. That's why I always felt a kind of dread every time I see a bride walking down the aisle. I always keep thinking, "Do they know this is forever?".

My wait for my partner took a long time but I finally found the right one. I just knew it in my heart that someone was meant for me and that one day he will find me. I believed it the same way I believed I needed to breath. Someone who has lesser faith in their partner would have given up. But I didn't. I waited patiently and finally found my partner.

These days, women they say outnumber the men at least 3 to 1 (or is it 10 to 1?). But does it mean women now need to settle with just anybody even if the person they are with is not the right one?

Some women, in their haste to be part of a relationship, easily fall into it even when they know in their heart that it is not the right one and that they are not getting the right attention they deserve. Is it wrong for them to do this? I don't know. Sometimes I guess you have to make mistakes to know what to look for in the next person.

I cannot say the same thing will work for everybody. Maybe I was just lucky that my waiting was not for vain.

I just hope that women out there don't settle just because they think they cannot find someone else. You'd be selling yourself short if you do. One day when you find the right one, you'll know and you'll be thankful that you did wait.

No comments:

Princesses Can Be Bullies Too

People think of bullies as someone who are bigger, older. Someone who can physically hurt another and uses that power to bully someone else...