Saturday, August 2, 2008

Taking Chances

I love it when I am surprised by choices that I made. When you take a chance and go outside of your comfort zone. You'd think I am talking about something so adventurous but I'm really just talking about a book. Ha ha.

I was at Borders the other day lured there by their ever present discount voucher. I know their strategy is working because no matter how many books I've got stored and waiting in my bookcase, I still end up buying more.

One of the books I noticed while I was browsing was the Map of Bones from James Rollins. It was just one book case away from David Silva and I was at that time in a happy mood having found one of the books I was waiting on: The Secret Servant. So I happened to see the Map of Bones, read the synopsis and found it interesting. James Rollins was not an author I am familiar with but I figured might as well try. I did discover David Silva through the same way.

The Map of Bones was an interesting read. It really got my attention and it was very difficult to put it down. I formed the habit of going home the long way (going to Yew Tee through Orchard, Woodlands route) just so I have more time to read the book. I find the story really absorbing and it was a well researched book. One of the best things I like about reading is the knowledge you garner every time. And Map of Bones is definitely one where you'll learn a lot about history.

I'm glad I took a chance on this author and tried one of his books. I have included him as one of my favorites and have just recently bought two more of his books, one of which I am currently reading: Black Order.

How about you? What kind of chances have you taken lately that has brought you an interesting experience?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My bloke got me reading James Rollins a couple of years back, and we have a complete set of his novels on our shelves. Map of Bones is the start of a new series, sort-of, whereas the books before that were stand-alone novels (well, Sandstorm has some of the Delta Force characters) and had a lot more fantasy/SF-style elements in them; Map of Bones and Black Order are slightly more straightforward thrillers though with lots of historical stuff as made popular by The Da Vinci Code.
I like his stuff anyway, and it's great vacation reading.

Princesses Can Be Bullies Too

People think of bullies as someone who are bigger, older. Someone who can physically hurt another and uses that power to bully someone else...