Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Wish Upon A Star



Little Lulu once asked If I have one wish in the world, what would it be? Yup. She does like dramatic questions like that. She wants to be an actress.

I had no quick answer for her question and I was busy so I just disregarded it. She can’t believe that I don’t want anything. She said she wants to be rich and then she’ll go to different places and buy me stuff, etc. So I said that I wish for her to be rich then. Cheeky. =)

During that conversation, I told her that money is not everything. You can have a lot of money but you can be so lonely or unhappy. I told her I don’t want to be the rich old relative that people wants to visit or talk to just because I’m rich and they have some monetary reasons for doing so. Cruel huh? But it is true. I know because I know of someone like that. And it is sad if you think about it. I would rather be ‘not rich’ but happy with friends and family.

Let’s not be unrealistic and say that having lots of money is a bad thing. It isn’t. You can buy almost anything that your heart desires and go to places where your whim brings you. But is it enough? I don’t think so. Or maybe it is just not enough for me.

I am the type of person who needs to be connected to family and to friends to be happy and satisfied. Although I have a side of me that usually like being alone every now and then (too often sometimes), I like having friends and family to share my thoughts with, my fortune, my misgivings, etc.

And who doesn’t want that? Would you wish for money or for happiness? Yeah sure. You can buy a lot of material things that can make you happy in a moment. But when that moment has passed, the sadness and heartache still comes out doesn’t it?

Some people would say that the rich could claim that money is not everything because they have a lot of it. Maybe it’s true. But think about it. Would they say it if there is no reason for it? Did you think that just because you’re poor or destitute that you’re the only one with problems? The rich have problems too. And sometimes more complicated than ours can ever be. So you see, no matter how much money you have in life, it is not going to be enough. It does make living quite easy though.

So if I have one wish, what would it be? I’ll tell you what I told little Lulu then. When you blow the candles from your birthday cake and you make a wish, you don’t say it out loud because you say it might not come true. I’m keeping mum on my wish then to avoid it from being jinxed. If it happens to come true, I’ll tell you all about it. D’accord?

Bonne journée tout le monde!

No comments:

Princesses Can Be Bullies Too

People think of bullies as someone who are bigger, older. Someone who can physically hurt another and uses that power to bully someone else...